In this Policy, “we” refers to Hong Kong Open Source Conference Organisers (“HKOSCon”) and “Ordinance” refers to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, Chapter 486 of the laws of Hong Kong.
We are committed to respecting and protecting the privacy of our event registrants (“Users” or “you”) by observing and ensuring full compliance with the requirements stipulated under the Ordinance. We recognize that when you choose to provide us with information about yourself, you trust us to act in a responsible manner. That’s why we have put a policy in place to protect your personal data. Please read on for more details on how we handle your personal data.
What data does we collect and how do we use it?
At times, we may request that you voluntarily supply us with personal data. The personal data may be obtained by electronic means or in written form. Generally, this data is requested when you register for an event organized by us, when you attend to events organized by us. When you enter our event such as the conference, and related events etc., we may ask for your name, company name, contact number and e-mail address so we can administer the event and notify you of the registration status. Personal data held by us will be used for the purposes specified from time to time. Please refer to our Personal Information Collection Statement on how we may use your personal data and to whom we may transfer or disclose your personal data, and your right of access to and correction of your personal data held by us.
Will we disclose or transfer the data it collects to outside parties?
We will NOT disclose or transfer personal data collected to outside parties unless such disclosure or transfer is authorised, required or permitted by, or in compliance with, the Ordinance. Please refer to our Personal Information Collection Statement for details.
We are required by the Ordinance to take all reasonable practicable steps to safeguard the security of personal data held by us. We will strive to protect any personal data held by us against unauthorized access or processing.
Notwithstanding our obligation to safeguard the security of personal data, we are unable to guarantee complete security of communications through the internet given the open nature of the internet. You will have to assess and accept the relevant risks before sending personal data to us via our web site and related 3rd party internet services.
When you browse this website, cookies will be stored in your computer’s hard drive. Most web browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can choose to “not accept” cookies by changing the setting but if you do so you may find that font resizing function may not work properly or may not be available. The data collected by means of cookies on the website about you include the current version of your operating system and web browser and will be used only for compiling aggregate statistics on how visitors browse the website for the purpose of managing and improving the design of the website.
Accuracy and Retention of Personal Data
We are required by the Ordinance to take all reasonable practicable steps to ensure that personal data held by us (i) is accurate having regard to the purposes for which the data is to be used; and (ii) is not kept longer than is necessary for the fulfillment of the purpose for which the data is to be used unless otherwise permitted by the Ordinance or required by any applicable legal or regulatory requirements. Please note that personal data collected from a User who has registered on our website to receive direct marketing materials will be retained for that purpose until he cancels his registration.
Subject to the applicable requirements under the Ordinance, we may from time to time send direct marketing materials promoting services or activities to you using your personal data. Please refer to our Personal Information Collection Statement for details. Opt-out channel or facilities will be provided to enable you to exercise your right to opt out from direct marketing.
We will not provide your personal data to third parties for direct marketing or other unrelated purposes without your consent.
Despite your provision of consent to use your personal data for direct marketing, you may at any time notify your intention to withdraw such consent.
Links to other Web Sites
Our website may contain links to other web sites maintained by other persons, which may collect your personal data in the course of your interaction with these persons. The collection and use of personal data by these persons are beyond our control and are subject to the privacy policies of the relevant persons.
Access to Personal Data and Correction Requests
You have a right under the Ordinance to request access to and/or correction of your Personal Data held by us. Please refer to our Personal Information Collection Statement on how to make data access requests or data correction requests.
Tell us what you think
Our goal is to respect your privacy. To help us improve our privacy policies, please give us your feedback. We welcome your comments and questions.
Personal Information Collection Statement
In this Statement, “we” refers to Hong Kong Open Source Conference Organisers (“HKOSCon”). In complying with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, Chapter 486 of the laws of the Hong Kong (“Ordinance”), we strive to safeguard your data privacy. This Statement sets out matters relating to the collection and use of your personal data.
Collection of Your Data
A. From time to time, it is necessary for us to collect your personal data for providing you with updates, services, products or facilities or carrying out activities described in the “Purpose and Use of Your Data” section below. It is not obligatory to supply the requested personal data but if you fail to supply the requested data or any part thereof, we may not be able to provide you with the updates, services, products, facilities or activities.
B. We may also generate and compile information about you. Personal data provided by you and all information generated and compiled by us about you from time to time is collectively referred to as “Your Data”.
Purpose and Use of Your Data
C. We may use Your Data for one or more of the following purposes from time to time:
- providing updates, services, or activities (including our website) and matters relating to administration, management, operation and maintenance (including processing applications or requests for services, products, facilities or activities);
- communicating with you (including responding to your enquiries or requests for information);
- designing and offering contests, games, lucky draws, promotions, surveys or events;
- marketing services, activities or other subjects (please see further details in “Use of Your Data in Direct Marketing” section below and you may opt out from receiving marketing information);
- offering, managing and operating any membership, loyalty or reward programmes;
- administering and maintaining our website and diagnosing problems where necessary;
- designing, reviewing, evaluating and enhancing our services, or activities (including conducting research, survey and analysis for those purposes);
- investigating and handling complaints, claims or incidents involving us or any of our event registrants or website users;
- preventing, detecting or investigating suspicious or illegal activities;
- making disclosure when required by any law, court order, direction, code or guideline applicable in or outside Hong Kong; and
- purposes relating to any of the above.
Transfer of Your Data
D. Your Data will not generally be disclosed or transferred to any other party in a form that would identify you except in the following circumstances:
- If we use third party suppliers or service providers who provide administrative, insurance, telecommunications, information technology, computer, data processing, content delivery, marketing support or other services to support our event operation, services, or activities, we may provide Your Data to these suppliers or service providers.
- We may disclose Your Data to any governmental or law enforcement agency, judicial body or regulatory authority to whom we are required to make disclosure according to any law, regulation, court order, direction, code or guideline.
- In addition, Your Data may be accessed by, disclosed or transferred to any person under a duty of confidentiality to us (including our accountants, auditors, legal advisers or other professional advisers) [and any of our subsidiaries, holding companies, associated companies or affiliated companies] for the purposes described in the “Purpose and Use of Your Data” section above.
E. As the parties mentioned above may be located outside Hong Kong, Your Data may be transferred out of Hong Kong.
Use of Your Data in Direct Marketing
F. We are allowed to use Your Data in direct marketing only if you consent or do not object. In connection with direct marketing, we intend:
- to use your name and contact details, profiling information, services and products portfolio information, and transaction pattern and behaviour collected, compiled, generated or held by us from time to time; and
- to market and promote the services, activities, contests, conferences, lucky draws, events and promotional campaigns from time to time available relating to us or “HKOSCon” or the sponsors of “HKOSCon”.
For the purposes of this Paragraph F, “HKOSCon” means the organisers of Hong Kong Open Source Conference.
G. If you agree to our use of Your Data in direct marketing, please tick (√) the box in the corresponding reply slip or data collection form to exercise your opt-in right. A sample of such is as follows:
Reply Slip / Data Collection Form
I have read the Personal Information Collection Statement of Hong Kong Open Source Conference Organisers (“HKOSCon”), including the information about the use of my personal data in direct marketing, and I understand its contents.
By ticking the box above, I signify my consent for HKOSCon to use my personal data (primarily my name and contact details) in direct marketing services, activities and other subjects to me (primarily services, activities, events and subjects offered in relation to HKOSCon or sponsors of HKOSCon) as more particularly set out in the Personal Information Collection Statement.
[ ] I agree to receive direct marketing information.
You may also write to our Data Protection Officer at the address below or contact us via the contact information provided in our direct marketing materials to opt out from direct marketing at any time.
Access to and Correction of Your Data
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, Your Data held by us. We may charge a reasonable fee for administering and processing your data access request. If you need to check whether we hold Your Data or if you wish to have access to, correct any of Your Data which is inaccurate, please write via e-mail to our Data Protection Officer at [email protected].
This Statement is written in the English language and may be translated into other languages. In the event of any inconsistency between the English version and the translated version of this Statement, the English version shall prevail.